The Staff Accountant will provide general accounting support to the Science Center’s Corporate and Program related cost centers. Primary responsibilities include month-end close procedures, recording journal entries, bank account reconciliations, preparation and analysis of monthly accounting reports to programs and departments. Other responsibilities include fixed asset updates, general ledger accounting, and support of the annual audit process.
The Staff Accountant has internal contacts with the entire administrative staff and external contact with tenants and vendors. This position has access to sensitive UCSC financial information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position is expected to represent the UCSC in a professional manner.
The Staff Accountant will report directly to the Director of Accounting. This position will participate in department activities as necessary.
Provide general accounting functions for the Science Center’s Corporate and Program cost centers to include:
- Tracking monthly journal entries and accruals and performing month end closing responsibilities (maintain monthly work-papers).
- Maintain monthly work-papers, with variance analysis.
- Preparation of monthly financial reports for distribution to Program and Department VPs, Directors and Managers, and follow up on inquiries on variances or other matters. Monitor variances over time to identify what should be reforecast.
- Perform bank account reconciliations.
- Reconcile Quorum revenues between management reports, GL, and credit card processor. Verify all deposits received.
- Create Cash Sheets monthly and reconcile to GL for all entities.
- Provide Fixed Asset system support.
- Participate in and support the annual audit process.
- Track monthly AMEX corporate card and expense report expenditures.
- Reconcile intercompany transactions and create invoices as necessary.
- Set up new vendors in accounting system.
- Assist with annual budget preparation.
- Attend relevant workshops or join professional industry groups as necessary to maintain professional knowledge.
- Adhere to the UCSC’s security guidelines and ensure the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
- Facilitate and attend relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals.
- Complete special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department as directed by the Director of Accounting.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and principles.
- Ability to analyze statistical spreadsheets, data, and budgets and use critical thinking to identify variances, provide forecasting, report conclusions, or recommend approaches to problems.
- Demonstrates ability to execute daily and special project goals by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, delegating appropriately, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to manage change in a positive and productive manner.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and effective communication with all levels of internal and external customers and staff.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrates ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
- Ability to operate a computer and use a variety of common software programs such as Microsoft Office including intermediate proficiency in MS Excel.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
- Attends all UCSC in-services as required.
Embodies and Models Science Center Values:
- Unity: Promotes one Science Center, united and guided by our mission.
- Open Communication: Practices open communication by encouraging a diversity of ideas and recognizing the value of sharing opinions and experiences in our work.
- Integrity: Creates an environment of trust and integrity. Honest and ethical in everything.
- Impact: Works to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
- Equity & Inclusion: Fosters an environment that embraces the strength in the diversity of our team and our community.
- Innovation in Action: Committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND LICENSURE
- 2-5 years of general accounting experience to include:
- General Ledger Accounting
- Analytical Reporting
- Basic understanding of grant tracking
- General Ledger Accounting
- BS degree from an accredited university or college with a concentration in Accounting, or Business is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email email@example.com.
About the Science Center
The University City Science Center is Philadelphia’s premier catalyst of entrepreneurial activity, healthcare innovation, and economic growth. Established in 1963, the nonprofit has been recognized by The Brookings Institution as a best-in-class investor, mentor, and economic development partner for young technology companies. Working alongside industry partners and leading research and academic institutions across the globe, the Science Center has supported over 1,000 early-stage companies. Today, the organization advances healthcare innovation from idea to the marketplace through startup support services, allocating capital, gathering the innovation community, and building inclusive STEM pathways for Philadelphia youth and adults. For more information visit sciencecenter.org or follow us at @UCScienceCenter.