The Event Coordinator is a fast-paced and integral role in our dynamic not-for-profit organization. Working with clients across the entrepreneur, start-up, business, academic, and government communities, the Quorum Event Coordinator will coordinate our pipeline of client events and oversee daily operations in a unique space: a highly visible and active gathering place specifically designed for the innovation community to meet and connect.
The Events Coordinator ensures that the Science Center’s event space, Quorum, is well scheduled, planned and set-up for the best client experience. The primary function of this role is to execute all events efficiently in the Quorum space and ensure the client experience is smooth and enjoyable. This position also assists with all internal Science Center events to coordinate, plan, and help with logistics, which include assisting with Venture Café’s Thursday Gatherings each week. Under the oversight of the Director, Quorum, the Events Coordinator works with potential clients, gives tours and walk-throughs, and creates room layouts. The position is responsible for coordinating a variety of internal and external events; coordinating details and logistics of Quorum programs; acting as the point of contact with external clients.
The Events Coordinator must be able to work early morning, evening, and weekend events on an as needed basis, and be able to operate under minimal supervision.
The Events Coordinator reports to the Director, Quorum and is a key member of the Science Center and as such has contacts with internal employees and external contact with event planners, Quorum clients, as well as funders and potential funders, business partners, and the community. This position has access to sensitive UCSC data, and some start-up company information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with industry partners, local government officials, and members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Coordinate, plan and execute details and logistics of all events in Quorum space. Work with the Director, Quorum to schedule a variety of internal and external events, coordinate details of client events, act as the point of contact with external clients, and assist with on-site coordination and logistics of internal programs in the Quorum space.
- Monitor all Science Center event and lounge space daily; ensure team room, conference rooms, meeting areas and lounge area are tidy and professional throughout the day as needed.
- Maintain Tripleseat records of events and communicate with clients to review needs, room-set, catering and other logistics.
- Manage event set up, cleaning, AV/IT support, catering, etc. to ensure smooth event execution.
- Maintain operational understanding of A/V equipment and systems to troubleshoot A/V issues.
- Schedule and lead walk-throughs for event coordination; conduct tours of space in coordination with Quorum, Director as needed.
- Provide tactical assistance to Science Center events and meetings, including assisting with Venture Café’s Thursday Gatherings
- Capture and provide social media content from events to Quorum Program Coordinator/Sc Marketing.
- Coordinate Science Center speakers for donated space speaking opportunities.
- Assists the Director, Quorum with various other projects on an as-need basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners and clients, and the community.
- Knowledge and understanding of A/V systems and comfort with technology.
- Ability to manage multiple facets of program / event coordination and implementation with strong attention to detail in an often high-energy and time-sensitive environment.
- Solid understanding and ability to use computer applications such as Tripleseat, All Seated, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, PowerPoint, and other related software applications
- Ability to follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work early mornings, evenings, and weekends as needed.
- Knowledge and understanding of marketing, public relations, social media and communication strategies.
- Demonstrates ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
- Attends all UCSC in-services as required.
The successful candidate will have 2+ years of experience in event coordination or management, direct experience assisting with the planning of special events. Experience with marketing, communications, client relations, or community engagement highly preferred. BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent work experience required.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Science Center
Established in 1963, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit that commercializes promising technology, cultivates talent, and convenes people to inspire action. With partnerships across top academic and research institutions, industry, and healthcare systems, the Science Center is helping life-saving technologies transition from bench to bedside and nurturing a workforce that supports a 21st century economy. For more information, visit sciencecenter.org and follow @UCScienceCenter.
For more information about the Science Center, go to www.sciencecenter.org