The People Operations Manager leads the day-to-day people and human capital operations that promote a high-performance culture which aligns with the vision and mission of the Science Center. This role assumes management and administrative responsibility for initiatives and activities impacting the full employee life cycle by managing the routine and operational functions of the People Operations department. The People Ops Manager focuses on process improvement that supports the achievement of the Science Center’s business goals and serves as a business partner with managers and leaders and works collaboratively with all levels of the organization.
The People Operations Manager will be responsible for the delivery of people operations and human resources services throughout the Science Center to include compliance, employee relations, benefits, compensation, employee data management and employee transitions. This role will support the Senior Director, People and Culture in talent management, policy development and culture change.
The People Operations Manager will report directly to the Sr. Director of People and Culture and will interact with all staff at the Science Center. This position will participate in department activities as necessary. This position has access to sensitive Science Center employee and financial information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has some contact with members of the community and is expected to represent the Science Center in a professional manner.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Employee Benefits and Processes
- Manage all employee benefits and benefits processes, including employee enrollment, plan documentation and tracking and management and payment of invoices.
- Serve as benefits point of contact for the Science Center employees.
- In coordination with the Sr. Director of People and Culture, maintain relationship with benefits broker and liaise with them on all employee benefits issues.
- Working with the benefits broker and the Sr. Director of People and Culture, lead benefit administration and vendor selection; assess benefit needs and trends and recommend changes. Lead annual open enrollment processes with the oversight of the Sr. Director.
- Employee transitions
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all employee transitions, including on-boarding and off-boarding. Ensure that all transitions proceed smoothly and manage the process throughout.
- Maintain and update transition processes as needed to ensure satisfying experience for all employees involved.
- Employee Data
- Serve as the primary manager of HRIS data, ensuring accuracy and troubleshooting any issues.
- Maintain excellent knowledge of HRIS and recommend improvements to procedures and modules as needed.
- Create and maintain employee reports as needed, such as employee census data, turnover reporting, etc. Establish and maintain reporting metrics and dashboard for high-level reporting to leadership team.
- Responsible for organizational compliance with Federal and State legislation pertaining to all employment matters. Assures compliance with all Federal and State compliance matters and remains current on related legislation and updates.
- Manage Workers Compensation processes, insurance and claims.
- Mange all FMLA claims and processes.
- Directly, or in partnership with the Sr Director, prepares or participates in governmental reporting requirements.
- General People Operations Services
- Provide recruiting support to Sr. Director by assisting with resume screening and interviews.
- Assist Sr. Director with annual performance management and compensation processes as needed.
- Identifies and implements best practices and operational efficiencies.
- In coordination with Sr. Director, creates and updates the organization’s people policies and procedures and employee handbook; provides guidance and interpretation.
- Proactively and reactively resolves employee issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of People and Human Resources Operations.
- Previous experience working in a small People Operations or Human Resources department.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment, with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Strong analytical, assessment, and problem-solving capabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with human capital systems, practices and policies, including performance management, benefits and compensation and employee data management.
- Strong relationship building and influencing skills; ability to cultivate trust with all levels of the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience in People Operations or Human Resource generalist and operational roles. Experience in both non-profit and for-profit organizational environments desired. Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or similar field required.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Science Center
Established in 1963, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit that helps commercializes promising technology, cultivates talent, and convenes people to inspire action. With partnerships across top academic and research institutions, industry, and healthcare systems, the Science Center is helping life-saving technologies transition from bench to bedside and nurturing a workforce that supports a 21st century economy.
For more information about the Science Center, go to www.sciencecenter.org