The Office Administrator and Department Assistant is responsible for providing administrative, clerical and project support to the Administration and Finance Department. The Department Assistant is a key member of the department and will promote the highest level of efficiency through effective departmental support and support of employee and accounting processes. This role will be responsible for completing tasks assigned by the CFO and Directors to ensure operational excellence of the department. This role will be responsible for some matters of office management. The Office Administrator and Department Assistant will work closely with other UCSC business areas and provide administrative support as needed.
This role has internal contacts with the entire administrative staff and external contact with business partners, vendors, and the community. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
The Office Administrator and Department Assistant will report directly to the CFO and take direction of daily and special work duties from other members of the department as well as participate in department activities as necessary.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
General Administrative Responsibilities
- Manage calendars and schedule and make arrangements for meetings as requested, representing department to internal and external clients.
- Process department invoices, receipts and documents
- Perform general administrative and clerical duties for department including expense and credit report preparation for CFO, manage incoming and outgoing department mail, copying, faxing, filing, scheduling, correspondence, telephone, and travel arrangements for the department.
- Manage departmental contacts and other data input and collection in Salesforce
- Schedule interviews for department hires as directed
- Attend administration meetings
- Participate in the front desk coverage rotation as necessary.
- Provide administrative and clerical support for UCSC events, projects, or other company-wide initiatives as necessary.
- Manage the monthly credit card bill payment process for the organization.
- Manage the monthly effort report process and ensure that all employees effort reports are returned on time and completed.
- Coordinate the reconciliation and distribution of UCSC petty cash.
- Facilitate invoice voucher system through attachment of internal forms, appropriate routing and ensure necessary approvals.
- Record daily cash receipts and forward to accounts receivable per established procedures.
- Serve as administrator for corporate American Express account, including managing relationship for benefits, troubleshooting account issues and the issuance/cancellation of cards
- Under oversight of the CFO, manage the organization’s risk and liability insurance.
- Provide support as necessary to IT team.
Office Administration Responsibilities
- Organize and coordinate office administration and procedures, to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency and safety.
- Plan and implement office systems, layouts, and equipment procurement. This includes furniture purchase, oversight of office and cubicle configurations, movement and occupation, and maintenance of all office furniture and door keys.
- Supervise the maintenance of office equipment, such as copier, mail machine, kitchen appliances, etc.
- In conjunction with Director of HR and other key personnel, coordinate office safety efforts and procedures.
- Manage security access to Science Center suite on the 4th floor, including ability to grant and remove access, run reports, and change access hours for holidays and unusual events.
- Enter SC workorder requests in the tenant workorder system for items such as HVAC, cleaning and lighting.
- Negotiate and manage contracts with vendors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of Science Center and department goals and objectives and ability to work and contribute as part of a larger team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple daily, weekly, monthly, and long-term tasks for multiple staff members by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to organize tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Technologically proficient, ability to effectively use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, and customized databases, including Salesforce.
- Strong understanding of and ability to foster excellent customer service practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, tenants, and the community.
- Exercises mature judgement and keep highly sensitive information confidential.
- Inspires confidence and establishes trust with employees across all levels.
- Demonstrated flexibility and agility in the face of shifting needs and priorities.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will have 2-3 years of related experience in a professional office environment with a customer service focus; some office administration experience preferred. High School Diploma is required; BA/BS degree or some college is preferred.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email email@example.com.
About the Science Center
Established in 1963, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit that commercializes promising technology, cultivates talent, and convenes people to inspire action. With partnerships across top academic and research institutions, industry, and healthcare systems, the Science Center is helping life-saving technologies transition from bench to bedside and nurturing a workforce that supports a 21st century economy. For more information, visit sciencecenter.org and follow @UCScienceCenter.
We are One Science Center guided by our mission.
We encourage a diversity of ideas and recognize the value of sharing opinions and experiences in our work.
We are committed to being honest and ethical in everything we do.
We do our work to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
Equity & Inclusion
We foster an environment where we embrace the strength of the diversity of our team and our community.
Innovation in Action
We are committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
For more information about the Science Center, go to www.sciencecenter.org