The Experience & Storytelling Associate at Venture Café Philadelphia will work closely with the Venture Café team, especially the Senior Director of Experience & Digital Transformation and Venture Café Program Manager and Experience Designer, to connect innovators, amplify partners who are growing an equitable ecosystem for Philadelphia and deliver experiences every Thursday that build deeper connections among attendees.
The primary role of the Experience and Storytelling Associate will be to ensure a welcoming, positive experience throughout the Venture Café journey and use an omnichannel approach to share and amplify the stories of the Venture Café community and highlight the Thursday Gathering. This includes leading office hour curation, ensuring a seamless speaker and partner journey while collaborating closely with the Program Manager & Experience Designer, (including day of logistics) and end-to-end promotion of the Thursday Gathering.
The Thursday Gathering is hosted weekly from 3-8pm and is dedicated to fostering connection, inspiration, and innovation through serendipitous collisions. Support from this role is critical and necessitates the ability to work later on Thursdays. The Associate will work with the VC team to plan and produce the weekly gathering which necessitates attention to detail as well as a flexible mindset in fast-paced setting. Key to this position is someone who excels at building culture, fostering community, and enjoys working with diverse stakeholders.
The Program Associate, Venture Café Philadelphia is a key member of the University City Science Center’s (UCSC) Convene team and will report to the Program Manager and Experience Designer, Venture Café Philadelphia and is expected to participate in department/company activities as necessary. This position will be part of the Experience Team under the Convene pillar at the Science Center as well as be a part of the Venture Café Global Network. They will report directly to the Program Manager and Experience Designer while also working closely with the Senior Director of Experience and Digital Transformation. Cross-functional collaboration is central to the operations of the Science Center and the Venture Café Global Network. In addition, with the emphasis on storytelling, the Community Experience & Storytelling Associate will also work closely with the Science Center and Venture Café Global Marketing Teams to organize regular and special events that help promote Venture Café and the Science Center to the broader ecosystem.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Advance the mission of Venture Café to enhance and grow Philadelphia’s innovation community by providing programming and experiences to make our audience more diverse, inclusive, accessible and better connected.
- Ensure a seamless speaker and partner journey that upholds the Credo and Venture Café guidelines for weekly Thursday Gatherings and all other Venture Café events in both in-person and virtual environment. This includes leading communication, end-to-end promotion of the event, day of logistics, and post-event assessments.
- Lead and implement the Office Hours program which involves recruiting mentors and scheduling 1:1 mentoring sessions.
- Contribute to programming ideas/implementation; actively engage in Thursday Gathering and Venture Café content planning.
- Actively participate in the iteration and improvement of processes and guidelines
- Create weekly social media content that highlights the stories of the Venture Café community to highlight their wins and connections. This also includes promoting Thursday Gathering sessions and activations as well as executing weekly newsletters.
- Use data analytics to improve and develop strategies for more effective marketing.
- Conduct post-event analysis to understand how events can be improved in the future and recommend future speakers/topics/formats for inclusion.
- Detail post-event metrics for SC and VC Global organizations.
- Regularly interact with external vendors, stakeholders and partners.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Embrace Venture Café’s values and approach and lead by example, guided by the Venture Café Credo including the framework that innovation is a tool to improve the human condition.
- Embrace and lead by Science Center values:
- Unity: We are One Science Center guided by our mission.
- Open Communication: We encourage a diversity of ideas and recognize the value of sharing opinions and experiences in our work.
- Impact: We do our work to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
- Integrity: We are committed to being honest and ethical in everything we do.
- Equity & Inclusion: We foster an environment where we embrace the strength of the diversity of our team and our community.
- Innovation in Action: We are committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
- An inclusive, welcoming, and hospitable approach – ability to build strong community while also solving problems, directly and honestly as they arise.
- Excellent organizational, project and task management skills.
- Demonstrated flexible and positive outlook that embodies a growth mindset, always looking for ways to improve and iterate.
- Comfort with failure to gain data and insights that lead to innovation
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; a skilled listener.
- Thrives in a rapid-pace, high-volume environment.
- Ability to manage multiple details and deadlines; commitment to follow up and follow through.
- Experience planning and implementing events a plus.
- Experience with Community Engagement a plus.
- Comfortable with technology, including software (e.g. Salesforce, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office), Zoom and social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn).
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
- Attends all UCSC in-services as required.
The successful candidate will have 1-3 years of experience in community organizing, event management or marketing. Program development is a plus. High School Diploma or equivalent required; BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university preferred.
Candidate must be fully vaccinated by date of hire.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Science Center
The University City Science Center is Philadelphia’s premier catalyst of entrepreneurial activity, healthcare innovation, and economic growth. Established in 1963, the nonprofit has been recognized by The Brookings Institution as a best-in-class investor, mentor, and economic development partner for young technology companies. Working alongside industry partners and leading research and academic institutions across the globe, the Science Center has supported over 1,000 early-stage companies. Today, the organization advances healthcare innovation from idea to the marketplace through startup support services, allocating capital, gathering the innovation community, and building inclusive STEM pathways for Philadelphia youth and adults. For more information visit sciencecenter.org or follow us at @UCScienceCenter.