The Department Assistant is responsible for providing administrative,
clerical, and project support to the Programming department. The
Department Assistant is a key member of the department and will promote
the highest level of efficiency through effective departmental support,
and support of event and program activities.
The Department Assistant will be responsible for completing tasks assigned by the department Executive to ensure operational excellence of the department. The Department Assistant will work closely with department Directors and Senior Directors to ensure optimized communication and support external event coordination. Department Assistant will interact with other UCSC business areas and collaborate with other teams in the execution of assigned duties.
The Department Assistant has internal contacts with the entire staff and external contact with business partners, vendors, and the community. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
The Department Assistant will report directly to the Programming Executive and will support daily and special work duties from other members of the department as well as participate in department activities as necessary.
General Administrative Responsibilities
- Managed calendars and schedules and made arrangements for meetings as requested, representing the department to internal and external clients.
- Process department invoices, receipts and documents for the Executive, Directors and Senior Directors.
- Perform general administrative and clerical duties for department including expense and credit report preparation for Executive, manage incoming and outgoing department mail, copying, faxing, filing, scheduling, correspondence, telephone, and travel arrangements for the department.
- Manage departmental and program contacts and other data input and collection in Salesforce.
- Schedule interviews for department hires as directed.
- Meetings as requested, maintain agendas and take minutes
- Participate in front desk backup coverage rotation as needed
- Provide administrative and clerical support for departmental and Science Center events and projects.
- Responsible for gathering metrics from Departmental leaders and create reports.
- Coordination of presentations for departmental meetings, committees, etc., and provide support for presentation materials and handouts
- Responsible for the distribution of program materials electronically, through direct mail, and on-site at all Science Center locations and programs as directed.
- Attend departmental meetings and maintain written records and updates arising from the meetings.
- Maintain and coordinate data in Salesforce as assigned.
- Attend relevant workshops or join professional industry groups as necessary to maintain professional knowledge.
- Adheres to Science Center security guidelines and ensures the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
- Facilitates and attends relevant staff meetings to promote communication and execution of goals.
- Completes special projects specific to the function of the department or as needed for the department as directed by the supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of Science Center and department goals and objectives and ability to work and contribute as part of a larger team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple daily, weekly, monthly, and long-term tasks for multiple staff members by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to organize tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Technologically proficient, ability to effectively use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and Excel to create documents, spreadsheets, and customized databases, including Salesforce.
- Strong understanding of and ability to foster excellent customer service practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, tenants, and the community.
- Adheres to all Science Center and departmental policies and procedures.
Embodies and Models Science Center Values:
- Unity: Promotes one Science Center, united and guided by our mission.
- Open Communication: We make space in our work for people to be seen and heard while expanding our empathy and mutual respect of each other’s boundaries, experiences, and person.
- Integrity: Creates an environment of trust and integrity. Honest and ethical in everything.
- Impact: Works to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
- Equity & Inclusion: Fosters an environment that embraces the strength in the diversity of our team and our community.
- Innovation in Action: Committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
Experience, Education, and Licensure
- 3-5 years of related experience in a professional office environment with a customer service focus; understanding of general life science and
technology industry and/or programming activities information preferred
- High School Diploma; Associate degree or some college is preferred.
About the Science Center
The University City Science Center is Philadelphia’s premier catalyst of entrepreneurial activity, healthcare innovation, and economic growth. Established in 1963, the nonprofit has been recognized by The Brookings Institution as a best-in-class investor, mentor, and economic development partner for young technology companies. Working alongside industry partners and leading research and academic institutions across the globe, the Science Center has supported over 1,000 early-stage companies. Today, the organization advances healthcare innovation from idea to the marketplace through startup support services, allocating capital, gathering the innovation community, and building inclusive STEM pathways for Philadelphia youth and adults. For more information visit sciencecenter.org or follow us at @UCScienceCenter.