The Department Assistant is responsible for providing administrative, clerical and project support to the Convene team. The Department Assistant is a key member of the department and will promote the highest level of efficiency through effective departmental support for the Development, Marketing and Experience Design Teams. This includes support of Science Center events and programs, and department initiatives. The Department Assistant will be responsible for completing tasks assigned by the department SVP, Directors and Program Managers to ensure operational excellence of the department. The Department Assistant will work closely with other UCSC business areas and provide administrative support to the entire organization as needed.
The Department Assistant has internal contacts with the entire administrative staff and external contact with business partners, vendors, and the community. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
The Department Assistant will report directly to the SVP, Strategy & Partnerships and take direction of daily and special work duties from other members of the department as well as participate in department activities as necessary.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Manage calendars and schedule and make arrangements for meetings as requested, representing department to internal and external clients.
- Process department invoices, receipts, and documents.
- Assist Development team in the processing of fundraising solicitations.
- Perform general administrative and clerical duties for department including expense and credit report preparation for SVP, manage incoming and outgoing department mail, copying, faxing, filing, scheduling, correspondence, telephone, and travel arrangements for the department.
- Manage departmental contacts and other data input and collection in Salesforce
- Assist with PowerPoint and data compilation.
- Schedule interviews for department hires as directed
- Attend monthly administration meetings
- Provide administrative and clerical support for UCSC events, projects, or other company-wide initiatives as necessary.
- Coordinate and attend team meetings. Facilitate input of weekly tracking document.
- Act as a greeter and event assistant at Science Center events. Activities include but are not limited to checking in attendees, rearranging event space and coordinating deliveries.
- Work with Accounting department and Convene team to track monthly budget.
- Facilitate ordering and printing of marketing collateral and promotional items.
- Organize and distribute monthly data and metrics on behalf of Convene Team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of Science Center and department goals and objectives and ability to work and contribute as part of a larger team.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to manage multiple daily, weekly, monthly, and long-term tasks for multiple staff members by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to organize tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Technologically proficient, ability to effectively use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite, spreadsheets, and customized databases, including Salesforce.
- Strong understanding of and ability to foster excellent customer service practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, tenants, and the community.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
Embodies and Models Science Center Values:
- Unity: Promotes one Science Center, united and guided by our mission.
- Open Communication: Practices open communication by encouraging a diversity of ideas and recognizing the value of sharing opinions and experiences in our work.
- Integrity: Creates an environment of trust and integrity. Honest and ethical in everything.
- Impact: Works to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
- Equity & Inclusion: Fosters an environment that embraces the strength in the diversity of our team and our community.
- Innovation in Action: Committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
The successful candidate will have 2-3 years of experience in a professional office environment with a customer service focus; demonstrated organizational strategies and advanced PowerPoint skills. High School Diploma; BA/BS degree or some college is preferred.
Candidate must be fully vaccinated by date of hire.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Science Center
Established in 1963, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit that commercializes promising technology, cultivates talent, and convenes people to inspire action. With partnerships across top academic and research institutions, industry, and healthcare systems, the Science Center is helping life-saving technologies transition from bench to bedside and nurturing a workforce that supports a 21st century economy. For more information, visit sciencecenter.org and follow @UCScienceCenter.
For more information about the Science Center, go to www.sciencecenter.org