The Department Assistant is a trusted point of contact for internal and external stakeholders of the Department, and is responsible for providing administrative, clerical and project support to the Department. The Department Assistant is a key member of the department and will promote the highest level of efficiency through effective departmental support, including day-to-day administrative assistance as well as support for special and/or recurring event and program activities. The Department Assistant also serves as a key communicator within the department and to external parties. This position will also be primarily responsible for maintaining, updating, and leveraging the (Salesforce) CRM database to support fundraising, data gathering, and performance reporting efforts for the department and the wider organization.
The Department Assistant will be responsible for completing tasks assigned by Saul Behar, Senior Vice President, Advancement and Strategic Initiatives (SVP) and his direct reports. The Department Assistant will also work closely with other UCSC business areas and provide administrative support to the entire organization as needed.
The Department Assistant has internal contact with the entire administrative staff and external contact with business partners, vendors, and the community. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and is required to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with a range of community stakeholders, including executive leaders, and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner, showing maturity and good judgment, and communicating in a way that inspires confidence with both internal and external stakeholders.
The Department Assistant will report directly to the SVP (who also serves as the organization’s in-house counsel); take direction of daily and special work duties from his direct reports (and, as appropriate, other members of the department); and participate in department activities as necessary or appropriate.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Manage calendars and scheduling and make arrangements for meetings, etc., as requested, representing the department to internal and external clients.
- Process invoices, receipts, and documents, including form correspondence to multiple recipients; Excel spreadsheets; and PowerPoint presentations.
- Manage scheduling, correspondence, and documentation for Board meetings and Board committee meetings.
- Serve as a trusted point of contact, as and when appropriate, for internal and external stakeholders of the Department.
- Perform general administrative and clerical duties including answering telephone and expense and credit report preparation for SVP, managing incoming and outgoing department mail, copying, faxing, filing, correspondence, and travel arrangements for the department.
- Manage departmental contacts and other data input and collection in the CRM platform.
- Leverage the Salesforce CRM platform to support department efforts through activities such as entering and updating information, generating reports, correspondence to donors, and other basic documents.
- Schedule interviews for department hires as directed.
- Attend monthly administration meetings upon request.
- Assist the department with special projects as necessary, including department-wide and smaller group events.
- Participate in the front desk coverage rotation once per week at lunch or as necessary when Receptionist and other Department Assistants are not in the office.
- Provide administrative and clerical support for UCSC events, projects, or other company-wide initiatives as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of Science Center and department goals and objectives and ability to work and contribute as part of a larger team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple daily, weekly, monthly, and long-term tasks for multiple staff members by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to organize tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Technologically proficient, ability to effectively use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, and customized databases, including Salesforce and other CRM tools.
- Strong understanding of and ability to foster excellent customer service practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, tenants, and the community.
- Demonstrates sound and mature judgement, self-awareness, and emotional intelligence.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will have 3-5 years of related experience in a professional office environment with a customer service focus. Experience with Salesforce is strongly preferred. Experience working in a law firm or corporate legal department is a plus, but not required. A high school diploma or GED is required, and a BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Science Center
Located in the heart of uCity Square, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit organization that catalyzes and connects innovation to entrepreneurship and technology commercialization. For 50+ years, the Science Center has supported startups, research, and economic development in the life sciences, healthcare, physical sciences, and emerging technology sectors. As a result, graduate firms and current residents of the Science Center’s incubator support one out of every 100 jobs in the Greater Philadelphia region and drive $13 billion in economic activity in the region annually. By providing resources and programming for any stage of a business’s lifecycle, the Science Center helps scientists, entrepreneurs and innovators take their concepts from idea to IPO – and beyond.