The Department Assistant is a trusted partner to the SVP, Strategy & Partnerships and is responsible for providing administrative, and project support to the Convene team. The Convene Team is made up of Marketing, Development, and the Experience Design functions of the organization. The Department Assistant is a key member of the team and will promote the highest level of efficiency through effective departmental support. This includes support of Science Center events and programs, and department initiatives. The Department Assistant will be responsible for completing tasks assigned by the department SVP, Directors and Program Managers to ensure operational excellence.
The Convene team is a highly collaborative team that has close contacts with external partners, the community, and internal teams. As such, the Department Assistant will work closely with other UCSC business areas and administrative staff and may provide administrative support throughout the organization as needed. This position has access to sensitive UCSC information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
The Department Assistant will report directly to the SVP, Strategy & Partnerships and take direction of daily and special work duties from other members of the department as well as participate in department activities as necessary.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Serve as a critical interface to both internal personnel and external parties to manage calendars and schedule and make arrangements for meetings as requested.
- Process department invoices, receipts, and documents.
- Assist Development team in the processing of fundraising solicitations.
- Perform general administrative and clerical duties for department including expense and credit report preparation for SVP, manage incoming and outgoing department mail, copying, faxing, filing, scheduling, correspondence, telephone, and travel arrangements for the department.
- Manage departmental contacts and other data input and collection in Salesforce
- Assist with PowerPoint and data compilation.
- Schedule interviews for department hires as directed
- Attend monthly administration meetings
- Provide administrative and clerical support for UCSC events, projects, or other company-wide initiatives as necessary.
- Coordinate and attend team meetings. Facilitate input of weekly tracking document.
- Act as a greeter and event assistant at Science Center events. Activities include but are not limited to checking in attendees, rearranging event space and coordinating deliveries.
- Work with Accounting department and Convene team to track monthly budget.
- Facilitate ordering and printing of marketing collateral and promotional items.
- Organize and distribute monthly data and metrics on behalf of Convene Team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of Science Center and department goals and objectives and ability to work and contribute as part of a larger team.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to manage multiple daily, weekly, monthly, and long-term tasks for multiple staff members by carefully setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and scheduling time efficiently.
- Ability to organize tasks in an efficient manner and follow-up and follow-through with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- Technologically proficient, ability to effectively use a variety of common software programs including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite, spreadsheets, and customized databases, including Salesforce.
- Strong understanding of and ability to foster excellent customer service practices.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work with other people through a cooperative effort.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, tenants, and the community.
- Adheres to all UCSC and departmental policies and procedures.
Embodies and Models Science Center Values:
- Unity: Promotes one Science Center, united and guided by our mission.
- Open Communication: Practices open communication by encouraging a diversity of ideas and recognizing the value of sharing opinions and experiences in our work.
- Integrity: Creates an environment of trust and integrity. Honest and ethical in everything.
- Impact: Works to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
- Equity & Inclusion: Fosters an environment that embraces the strength in the diversity of our team and our community.
- Innovation in Action: Committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
The successful candidate will have 2-3 years of related experience in a professional office environment with a customer service focus; demonstrated organizational strategies and advanced PowerPoint skills. High School Diploma; BA/BS degree or some college is preferred.
Candidate must be fully vaccinated by date of hire.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email email@example.com.
About the Science Center
The University City Science Center is Philadelphia’s premier catalyst of entrepreneurial activity, healthcare innovation, and economic growth. Established in 1963, the nonprofit has been recognized by The Brookings Institution as a best-in-class investor, mentor, and economic development partner for young technology companies. Working alongside industry partners and leading research and academic institutions across the globe, the Science Center has supported over 1,000 early-stage companies. Today, the organization advances healthcare innovation from idea to the marketplace through startup support services, allocating capital, gathering the innovation community, and building inclusive STEM pathways for Philadelphia youth and adults. For more information visit sciencecenter.org or follow us at @UCScienceCenter.