The Business Intelligence Associate is a fast-paced and integral role in our growing not-for-profit organization. The Associate will work with internal and external groups across the entrepreneurial ecosystem. The Business Intelligence Associate will coordinate data analysis and insights for the Commercialization and New Venture’s (CNV) programs and operations and partnerships. The Business Intelligence Associate is a key member of the Commercialization & New Ventures team and will lead the CNV’s data collection and research efforts for the portfolio companies to enable more informed, efficient, and effective programming and organizational operations. This role will be responsible for developing and implementing a data management plan to facilitate delivery of a dashboard and storytelling for CNV.
The Business Intelligence Associate will report directly to the Senior Director of Commercialization and take direction of daily and special work duties from other Directors and Program Managers as well as participate in department activities as necessary.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Acquire data related to CNV programs from primary or secondary data sources including Science Center program and development staff and maintain data integrity.
- Create comprehensive and accurate dashboards for CNV programs and business operations with clear data visualizations and ongoing reports. Interpret data and analyze results using proven statistical techniques that will translate to compelling founder stories.
- Prepare comprehensive summaries of analysis results, capturing data driven insights in a compelling manner and present to staff and leadership.
- Design, build, test, and maintain dashboards in Excel and AirTable.
- Maintain “clean” data by reviewing input, output, and performance indicators to locate and correct problems.
- Lead the CNV team’s efforts to use data to improve our program offerings, improve efficiencies, support fundraising efforts, and generate fund raising revenue.
- Identify data collection and the utilization needs for the CNV team.
- Define collection, curation, and reporting tools for data managed and maintained by CNV.
- Liaise with individual and teams who manage organizational data responsibility and ensure data captured and maintained is in alignment with the organization's overall data strategy
- Conduct market research- to stay current on primary research trends and ensure that CNV data collection and management is in alignment with these trends.
- Manage CNV reporting and provide data to leadership and marketing team to create compelling stories; provide information for organizational dashboard relating to CNV activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational, project, task management and problem-solving skills, including attention to detail and enthusiasm for efficiency and processes.
- Ability to work with data management systems while continuously suggesting improvements.
- IT literate and interest in IT content knowledge to tell compelling stories based on collected quantitative and qualitative data, including:
- Experience tracking interactions, networks, or opportunities with tools like Salesforce, Airtable, LinkedIn, and surveys to collect and manage CNV impact data.
- Experience creating presentations with tools like PowerPoint, Canva, Prezi, or other comparable platform.
- Experience with data exploration/visualization tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, Decipher is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and flexible.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively on a small team and with clients.
- Experience and comfort with managing conflicting priorities, including a steady stream of client communications, logistics, and transactions via email, phone, and in person.
- Flexibility – ability to work in a fast-paced workplace and actively participate wherever needed.
- An appreciation for the role of creativity in developing better tools, spaces, products, and services – and an enthusiasm for seeing these at work.
- Genuine desire and excitement to be a critical part of the success of a unique, fast-paced, and impactful space with a small team.
UCSC Leadership Competencies
Embodies and Models Science Center Values:
- Unity: Promotes one Science Center, united and guided by our mission.
- Open Communication: Practices open communication by encouraging a diversity of ideas and recognizing the value of sharing opinions and experiences in our work.
- Integrity: Creates an environment of trust and integrity. Honest and ethical in everything.
- Impact: Works to make a meaningful and measurable difference in the lives of others.
- Equity & Inclusion: Fosters an environment that embraces the strength in the diversity of our team and our community.
- Innovation in Action: Committed to continuous learning and open to new ideas that drive positive change.
Judgement and Problem Solving:
Makes decisions that are sound, accurate, timely and supported by the reasoning and inclusion of others. Effectively balances individual needs and those of the organization in decision-making.
Identifies opportunities and issues, proactively acts and follows through on work activities to resolve or capitalize on them. Thinks strategically and anticipates needs of the organization. Leads with initiatives and ideas, gathers support from others to meet common goals.
Develops Self and Others:
Fosters a climate for the learning and development of self and others. Actively plans for the development of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing opportunities to learn through both formal and informal methods. Develops and manages the departmental function to meaningfully contribute to the organization's overall growth.
The successful candidate will have 0-3 years of experience in a similar role. BS degree in Marketing, Data Analytics, Data Science, Business Analytics from an accredited college or university. Candidate must be fully vaccinated by date of hire.
The Science Center offers a comprehensive employee benefit package which includes Medical, Dental, Short and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending, Life Insurance and 403(b) with a significant company match.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume and salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3675 Market Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email email@example.com.
About the Science Center
Established in 1963, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit that commercializes promising technology, cultivates talent, and convenes people to inspire action. With partnerships across top academic and research institutions, industry, and healthcare systems, the Science Center is helping life-saving technologies transition from bench to bedside and nurturing a workforce that supports a 21st century economy. For more information, visit sciencecenter.org and follow @UCScienceCenter.